Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chapter Fourteen

Therapy is an extremely interesting topic for me. I have been to therapy before, and my mom has a very strong background in therapy so I get a lot of perspectives from her. I think that the most important feature for a therapist to have is neutrality, as well as being able to see things from both sides. It is crucial that they be able to point out flaws and the other side of an issue without making it sound like they are taking the other persons side. I personally wasn't able to get much out of therapy when I went. I had a family issue and was too angry about it as well as close minded to let the therapist help me. I resented my parents for making me go, and thought that the therapist was trying to manipulate me into forgiveness. Since then I believe I have matured, and am actually thinking about going to a therapy every now and then just to talk about every day issues. With my mom it has worked out better because I go to her when I want help, not when others think I need it. A lot of the time it isn't easy to hear what she has to say, or I may disagree but it still gets me to be more open minded. I think that the key to therapy is that the person has to be willing to be helped, and if they are then it can be extremely helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Some minor grammar issues and relate this to the material more. Did any certain types appeal to you more? Is there a particular approach you would not consider going to ?



    Delivery-2
    Relevance-4
    Expression-4
    Knowledge-2

    ReplyDelete